Residential Burn Permits Now Required

by Placerville Newswire / May 01, 2016 / comments

Residential burn permits will be required beginning Sunday, May 1. These permits are issued to the public free of charge, are valid for three years from the date of issuance and allow for the burning of dry landscape vegetation (not household trash) that originates from the landowner’s property. Free permits can be picked up at most local, staffed fire stations. “This winter’s rainfall was not enough to end the drought,” said CAL FIRE Amador-El Dorado Unit Chief Mike Kaslin. “Fire danger is still very high due to increased tree mortality.”

He also cautions that residents should not forget that the use of burn barrels is no longer legal in Amador or El Dorado counties. For tips on residential landscape debris burning safety or other fire and life safety topics, visit CAL FIRE, at   

Quick tips to landscape debris burning; 
-- Make sure pile is no larger than four feet by four feet; 
-- Scrape a 10-foot-wide ring around piles, down to bare dirt; 
-- Have a shovel and water supply (garden hose) close by; 
-- Make sure an adult is present at all times until pile is dead out; 
-- Be sure to call to ensure it is a permissive burn day. 

 In El Dorado County, call (530) 621-5897.  In Amador County, call (209) 223-6246. In Sacramento County, call (916) 874-4800.